Udadi mainly celebrated on the first day of Navaratri at the Shukla Pratipada of Chaitra month. This festival is being celebrated on April 6 (today) this year. Gudi Padwa is the other name of this festival usually celebrated in states of South India, including Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Goa.
Why do we Celebrate Ugadi? What is its method and mythology?
According to mythological beliefs, when Mother Sita was abducted, Lord Ram needed the army to go to Lanka and fight against Ravana. When they came to South India in search of Mata Sita, they met Sugriva. Sugriva had already been afraid of his brother Bali, so he expressed his inability to appear before Lord Ram. Then Ram slaughtered Bali and made Sugriva fearless and wiped out the victory in South India.
It is believed that it was the date of Chaitra Shukla Pratipada. Since then, Gudi Padwa is celebrated in South India for the celebration of this victory.
This is to inform you that while Gudi Padwa is a Maharashrian new year and is celebrated in parts of Maharashtra, Ugadi festival is the New Year’s Day for the people of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. In Karnataka, the festival is celebrated as Yugadi.
How People celebrate Ugadi??
People In parts of South India celebrate Ugadi and Gudi Padwa by decorating their houses and wearing new clothes. Women especially in Maharashtra wear the traditional Nauvari saree which is a nine-metre drape.
In Ugadi festival, most doors of home are adorned with mango leaf decorations called toranalu or Torana in Kannada.
While on Gudi Padwa, street processions are held along with massive crowd. Maharashtra people wear new clothes, dance, prepare festive foods like Sakkar Bhaat (sweet rice), Shrikhand and Puri, and Puran Poli.
Ugadi 2019 Quotes
- It is time to put the past behind you and look ahead with optimism.
- Let’s make a new start with new aspirations and dreams.
Wishing you a Happy Ugadi!
- May this new year be a bountiful year of happiness, peace, prosperity and satisfaction.
- Wishing you a life full of utmost peace and joy.
- On the auspicious occasion of Ugadi,
I pray to God that he may give you good health and success.
Ugadi 2019 Wishes
- May this Ugadi bring in you the brightest and choicest happiness and love you have ever wished for.
May Ugadi usher in prosperity and new beginnings. Wishing you lots of love on the happy occasion of Ugadi.
May lights triumph over darkness.
May peace transcend the earth.
- This Ugadi, may your enemies become friends, the darkness of negativity fade away from your life and you discover a new person within you.
Happy New Year!
- May this Ugadi bring you the utmost in peace and prosperity.
- Wish your new year brims with a harvest of happiness and prosperity.
- May this Ugadi bring you joy, health, wealth and good luck through out the year!
- Ugadi means..
Let’s make each day Ugadi!